I’ve battled with acne for almost a decade, and even as a 27-year-old, it is still pretty bad at times. Though I have noticed that doing my routine each day helps the acne significantly. Of course, that does not mean I am free, but it has gone from not being able to go out due to severe acne to a few that I can hide with concealer.
1. Start the day with drinking a glass of lemon water, then be sure to drink 8 glasses of water. This helps your body clean out toxins and helps put your skin in the best possible condition from the inside.
2. Replace all white sugar with dates, coconut sugar or molasses.
3. Sip on a cup of green tea; perhaps you may need decaf if you get affected by caffeine, or brew some matcha or green tea leaves.
Green tea has amazingly high antioxidants that are good for you, plus there are components in green tea that counteract sebum production, that is one of the main causes of acne.
4. Eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, including some nuts, fresh fruits, and veggies (i.e., grapes, avocado, broccoli), brown rice, garlic and oily fish like salmon. These will help replenish your body with essential nutrients so that your body can fight the acne as best as it could.
5. Have a green smoothie, include some kale, spinach, cucumber, carrots, lots of fruits, etc.
6. Once or twice a week, add boiling water in a bowl and have your face on top sitting in the steam. This is called steaming your face and helps open up pores so you can clean them out.
7. Be sure to wash your face at the end of the day with a really good cleanser, I like to use Lush Fresh Farmacy and Herbalism to wash my face, then use a tea tree toner (either Lush or The Body Shop), and a moisturizer. I love Body Shop Skin Clearing Lotion.
Carley’s Clear and Smooth is another brand I’ve bought from and used, which I enjoyed.
8. Once a week or so, you may wish to use a face mask. You can buy them or use the ones you make yourself. My favorite ingredients to put on the face mask: Matcha, lemon juice, honey, oatmeal, apple cider vinegar, cocoa powder, Greek yogurt, turmeric.
9. Have some emergency spot treatment available, such as pure tea tree oil.
10. Rub your face with lemon slices each day.
11. Be sure to keep your face away from dirty stuff like old, unwashed clothes or things that may have bacteria.
12. Be sure to eat food rich in zinc, or take a vitamin with it. Zinc is a great antibacterial agent and can help control hormones that trigger acne.
13. Remove diary in from your diet, like that for some reason, the hormones found in dairy products such as milk can cause lots of acne breakouts. Coconut and nuts are great alternatives to replace dairy, such as coconut cream, nut milk, etc.
14. Resveratrol is something that has been known to fight acne, so a little bit of red white or red grapes may be great, or take a supplement.
15. Get plenty of sleep, and be sure to keep stress levels low.
16. Try not to pick on the pimples if you possibly can, if you really cannot help it, use tweezers or wait until you know you can get rid of the full thing. Sometimes, pimples that are not yet mature cannot be taken out, which will make you scar while it keeps growing and you will want to pop it a day later when it comes back.
Please know that we’re all different, so this may or may not work for you. It sure has worked for me when I’ve tried to make most of the list consistently.